Centauri Specialty Insurance is a growing property and casualty insurance carrier with a ton of positive energy regarding the future of our organization. Our current staff of 50+ tenacious professionals work together to solve problems to create effective products that meet the needs of our policyholders. As a member of Team Centauri, you will be given challenges to solve, but will also be surrounded by seasoned professionals who are ready to guide you in your professional journey. We are excited to announce that Centauri placed 10th in the 2022 Best Medium Size Companies to Work in Florida. We would love for you join our award winning team committed to working together in our state-of-the-art building in Sarasota, Florida.
Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities of the accounting department and developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements by performing the following duties.
Your Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the preparation of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Statutory basis financial statements and schedules while providing appropriate commentary on results to management and externally as required.
- Oversees the preparation of reconciliations and analytics for account balances.
- Handles responsibility for statutory filings and other compliance items.
- Key point of contact for external financial audits.
- Maintains workpapers for tax provisions, tax footnotes and works closely with the tax accountants on filing of returns.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end close.
- Develops and implements workflow process improvements and automation of accounting workpapers.
- Serves as a key resource for other departments seeking financial information and assistance.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Supervises & advises staff and performs periodic performance evaluations, sets goals and develops training for staff as appropriate.
- Develops appropriate accounting controls, timelines and procedures and ensures adherence thereto.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in accounting from four-year college or university.
- Minimum six to eight years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent experience preferred.
- Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to speak English
- Dependability skills
- Adaptability and flexibility skills
- Ability to cooperate with others
- Ability to manage stress
- Ability to act with integrity
- Analytical thinking skills
The physical demands for this position are Light. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands; and talk or hear.
- The employee is required to stand; walk safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaced; and reach with hands and arms.
- Must have the ability to handle stressful deadlines
- Must have sufficient vision to navigate required computer programs
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
What We Offer You:
- Opportunity for Advancement
- Generous health insurance package that includes a benefit-rich Medical plan along with 100% company paid Dental, Vision, Disability and Life coverage
- 401(k) plan with employer matching
- Relocation Assistance
- 11 Holidays
- 12 days of sick
- 18 days of vacation annually
- 8 hours of Volunteerism
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Corporate events
- Summer Casual Dress code
Centauri is in beautiful Sarasota, on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Sarasota offers a variety of outdoor activities like fishing, sailing, swimming, kayaking, biking, golfing and running throughout the year. Cultural amenities with museums and art galleries and a collection of unique restaurants provide experiences to interest everyone. Sarasota offers a strong economy with great schools, a variety of churches and family friendly parks and community activities. Florida has NO State Income Tax!
Please note: Completion of a satisfactory criminal record check, education verification and reference checks are required prior to employment.
To apply for this job please visit csih.bamboohr.com.